Friday, February 2, 2018

Sterling Ashby

In the early years of the museum's creation I decided that what might enhance the student's understanding of Black history was to add guest speakers.  Our first guest speaker was Sterling Ashby.  I was shopping on line for things of interest to use in the museum and I came across HIA toys (History in Action).  There were 3 Black figures, beautifully and thoughtfully made and I ordered all 3.  I loved them upon arrival and immediately sent feedback to the company telling how I would use them with the museum.  The owner, Sterling, responded and thanked me for purchasing the toys, our friendship began.  He wanted to know about the museum and I shared, we eventually chatted on the phone "If there's anything I can do for you in the near future, let me know."  This opened the door for our first guest speaker to appear as the museum guest.  Sterling came from Washington D.C. and shared a beautiful presentation with the students at my school and brought many of the figures to share with the students.


We kept in touch for the past 10 years and he continued to enjoy hearing about Museum adventures.  I am sad to report that Sterling was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer and died shortly before his January 30th birthday.  He would have been 49.  I am so fortunate to have crossed paths with this kindred spirit. I wrote Sterling once and told him, he was one of my heroes and thanked him for sharing.  R.I.P. dear friend, I'll continue to care for and use your action figures to teach our history.



No comments:

Post a Comment