Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Maya Angelou

This morning on the radio I was listening to an interview with Maya Angelou.  I first fell in love with her when I was in high school, I wrote a term paper on "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."  I since have read her collection of autobiographies and had the honor and privilege of meeting her on more than one occasion.  Her eloquence and grace is inspiring.  I share some of her wisdom here:


"Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible."


"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return."


"It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength."

"History despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again."

No comments:

Post a Comment