Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Freedom rider

I had done my homework. I had studied books upon books about the Freedom rides and the riders. I had gone to, what felt like the end of the Internet. We prepared posters, artifacts were gathered, contacts made, travel plans confirmed. The stage was set. Tuesday night the Freedom Riders documentary was shown on PBS, and there I sat again, glued to the television. Looking at this world of the 60's when I was so very young, thinking how cruel and evil the people were attacking those courageous enough to fight for Freedom for us all. Not raising them up as true National heroes, but instead maiming them in a number of vicious attacks and forever framing their faces of hatred and evil by their cruel acts in the pages of our history. Then he arrived, Mr. Matthew Walker, Freedom Rider from Nashville.He arrived the day before to prepare for his keynote speech at the museum. We had spoken on the phone several times, but I had anxiously awaited meeting him face to face. I had seen his youthful pictures at age 19 and later pictures as well. Mr. Walker came to a small dinner reception at my home. I sat looking at him and listening to his stories and it was as if he stepped out of the pages of a history book. I could hardly believe that he was sitting across from me, honoring my home with his presence. Proud, focused, devout, sharp, living and wearing his courage Mr. Walker spoke his passion. An everyday hero who stepped into history to do his part, to correct a wrong that would impact us all forever. This was an experience of a lifetime.The next day would be a memorable experience for the children and staff at school.  I could hardly sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment